I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

August 20, 2025

PARK REVIEW issue 04 Bright Flutterings

 The Review  Issue 4   -Put out by “the Leo Birds”/August – Leonard the Mallard

Hi. I thought I’d be able to put out the “Review” every 2 weeks, but it looks like I’m not going to make it; sorry.

“Butterfly”. Ever think of how that word was formed? I figured it out. I think someone was trying to say “that beautiful thing over there that flies”, and somehow, “beautiful-fly” got shortened to “beautifly”, then “butterfly”. See? As smooth as…butter!

Anyone want to guess what this issue will be about? Yes; this “Review” will be about some butterflies of Iwatsuki Park and the joy they’ve given us.

When our carp friends moved at the end of March, a little messenger friend actually announced their return. Well, not in so many words. But April 6, 2019, perhaps a good 2 weeks early, a summer butterfly came to Duck Pond. Anticipate the unexpected this year, it signaled to all of us!

Early Outing of Butterfly,(Antee) Christens Newly-Cleaned Duck Pond

4-28 Sungleam

Sungleam carried sunshine between its wings and let it go from flower to flower, brightening the entire corner of the park. Pikatto too, sent off a spark of light on every bloom alighted on.

5-6 Pikatto

But even when there seemed to be no sunshine and you were taking a walk through the woods, Moonbeam somehow weaved a thread of hope through the gloomy branches. And Patapata made you smile, no matter how small you were and large the obstacle seemed to be, you had to smile when Patapata came.

6-1 Moonbeam

7-25 Patapata

So all you fluttering marvels that add beauty to our days, thank you!  -Leonard