I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

November 22, 2013

Death Kept in front of our Eyes

Why does God keep alive a 92-year-old retired missionary who is looking forward to being in a Place where there will be no more pain, yet take a 2-month-old baby to be with Him?

The past few weeks have been full of questions.

We recently had a tragic case of SIDS here at Bethel Baptist; the funeral was last week.  A baby shower had been scheduled for Sunday afternoon, Nov. 17, but of course had to be cancelled.  I heard the mother has had opportunity to witness to her unsaved mother and sister, however; and I am sure the entire family's testimony and ministry can gain a depth through something like this.  Perhaps God would lead you to remember in prayer the family of Joshua & Mikako Nakayama (siblings: one sister in kindergarten, the other sister a toddler).

This was not the first case of SIDS at Bethel.  Mrs. Koso, who passed away in Aug. and whose husband got saved and baptized in Sept., had a baby die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome; and so did Mr. Takeda, another member who built the church's cross and is continuing to come faithfully.  His baby boy died a mysterious death too.

べテル バプテスト 教会
Bethel  Baptist  Church
The church lettering in gold across the front roof was made by the born-again father of another Christian about three hours away.  His daughter had married and lived in the apartment next to Joe and Noney Mita, the missionary pastor-and-wife here; and they had led her to Christ before moving here to Iwatsuki to do church planting work.  In a recent e-mail, she mentioned her father had gone to be with the Lord at the end of Oct.

And one of our short-term missionaries recently received word her grandfather, who had been in failing health, was being transferred to a hospice.  It seems he is only weeks away from going Home.

My Dad's last prayer letter ended with the words: "What greater honor can there be than to serve the King of Kings Who holds all time in His hands?"

I need to keep trusting Him Who holds all life in His hands, whether I understand what He's doing or not.