I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

October 31, 2013

Terrily Necessary, Terribly Wrong, Terribly Reassuring

Recently, I began e-mailing Hiromi,
daughter of the first converts
My 18-year-old son's first job interview was scheduled for the time I needed to stay in Okinawa.  My daughter's job interviews and tests as public health nurse were scheduled to begin then too.  Didn't I need to be in Iwatsuki and let my kids see I was behind them?  What kind of mother would stay away from her children at a time like this?  But why was God seeming to keep me away?  It was Sept. 19 by the time things in Okinawa looked relatively stable, allowing me to return.

So I had missed our wedding anniversary (Aug. 21), my daughter's birthday (Aug. 27), the Koso funeral mentioned in the post below, my son's interview, Vacation Bible School...it felt so wrong...yet terribly necessary...and returned to Iwatsuki just 12 days before the missionaries here left on a trip to the U.S.

Piano lesson photo sent to
Itsuko Saito, mentioned in
 (A Special Visit, Aug.7,2013 post) 
But in September, my son was sent a notice from the Acrylics Company he had applied for, telling him they accepted him and invited him to come work for them next spring!  Then in October, a phone call came from Yoshikawa City (also in Saitama Prefecture), informing my daughter she had been accepted for the post of public health nurse there!

The past one-and-a-half-months back in Iwatsuki have been filled with wonderful fellowship--I didn't know I'd missed it so much.  Also, there has been much e-mail interchange with believers in Okinawa--girls we had grown up with 40-50 years ago.  We cannot help but praise God for His loving faithfulness through the years.

Joe and Noney Mita, the missionaries here at Bethel Baptist, will be returning on Nov. 1 (Fri.) from a month away in the U.S. (they left Oct. 1, so it will be exactly one month).  I can think of nothing that went terribly wrong while they were away, but for some reason, there is something terribly--I used the same word again--terribly reassuring, about their coming back.  WE MISSED YOU!