I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

January 4, 2013

Lights in the Sky

...can't even see the stars in this pic...
Tonight, my daughter said she wanted us to go out to see a meteor stream.  You know, shooting stars.  I don't see what the big deal is.  It's CCCCOLLLD!  I bundled up and went out with her.  We stood outside for a few minutes gazing up at the sky until we thought we might've seen a few blips of light go over our heads.  Then Emily said she wanted to go back inside; she was cccollld too...I was not the least bit unhappy to grant her request!

Stars shooting across the sky--those may be fun to watch.  But bolts of lightning in a stormy sky evoke feelings other than "fun".  And thunder...what is it about thunder that, even if you know it's coming because you've experienced storms before, whenever thunder booms, it seems to catch you off guard?

"I see the stars, I hear the rrrrolllling thunder".

But I am grateful for...was it a Neighborhood Bible Time Evangelist at a summer Vacation Bible School I attended in third grade (our family was in Michigan at the time)?  When he taught us the song, "How Great Thou Art," he emphasized how the awesome power of God in nature was the power protecting us, His children.  Ever since that summer, whenever I experience a thunderstorm, aside from the usual stimulation, I feel a strange cozy security too.

I am rather sure that church worker had no idea of the impact his teaching would have--I don't even remember his name.  Yet the God Who hurls stars across the sky or laughs with thunder from a stormcloud is the same God Who empowers our feeblest attempts to do His bidding!