Have you ever seen a horse wearing boots, a sheriff's cowboy hat, eating pizza/pasta and drinking coke? Me Neither. Actually, I wasn't sure if I should blog about the pin-the-tail on the horse booth I was working on for our "Western Carnival" Vacation Bible School, or if I should mention the Young People's Activity we had, and I started writing without making up my mind, so that silly image emerged.
There are so very few Christian young people in Japan. We had a joint youth fellowship at Bethel Baptist involving several churches and managed to get 30 folks in one room! Elisa Mita, the daughter of the missionary couple working here, planned much of it--songs, challenge, discussion, games...yes, ending with pizza, pasta, coke. I'm over 50, but I was invited--as were other interested adults--perhaps it will help us to see Japanese Christian young people on fire for God.
Would you continue praying for Japan...not just those that have faced terrible loss with the earthquake, tsunami, and radiation; but also for the less-than-1% of the entire country (Christians) who seek to be used of God in it all?
Enough of the "commercial". I suppose one reason I get carried away is because I have a son and daughter who would fit in the category called "youth" and have seen all too many tragedies--albeit they are not recognized by the world to be as bad as tsunamis--with Christian young people of Japan who are swept away by the cold, unfeeling lies and values of the world.
Despite the hostile-towards-Christianity Japanese society, a few adults have come to church without an invitation from or acquaintance in the church. Most of these people have had, as children, some kind of contact with Christianity: Christian camps, Christian kindergartens, or Christian summer activities...maybe like our "Western Carnival"?
I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.