I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.
Archive
October 10, 2010
Copyrighted Chirping?
Does anyone know if "Overheard in an Orchard" (The poem in which the Robin talks to the Sparrow) is still under copyright? I found it and would really like to post it, but I can't find info on Elizabeth Cheney poems to ask for permissions. When I searched for her on the Internet, I got the living attorney and know the poem was up on plaques in the '50s and '60, has been quoted by 93-year-old elderly folk.
...and one more inquiry. I remember Alfred Smith sang "The Robin and the Sparrow", but I can't recall what the lyrics were. This was about thirty years ago, and he said he often received the comment: "I thought you were dead already!" Was it this poem that he sang? Scratch that question. How are you to know if it was this poem or not if I haven't posted it yet?
Oh--who's Alfred Smith? He compiled Inspiring Hymns, the hymnal we used for our Nisei fellowship in our home in the 1970's, but I decided to write about other things, not the Nisei fellowship, in chapter 8 of NAVIGATOR, the time period it would've fit in.
