I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

May 24, 2010

Blessing Zones

Some of the remainder of last week was spent with another fever and a throat that felt like gravel, a voice that sounded like it felt...when I could finally get it out.

pic: June looking dismayed at thermometer reading. Oh--the surgical mask? Those of you who've been in Japan know--EVERYONE wears these things, even non-medical personnel, when they are harboring germs. I actually don't use them--feel like it's just keeping any germs around the nose-mouth and think it'll take longer to get better. I just wore it for the dramatic effect. Would you believe the thermometer was so hot it was glowing? No--you can tell that's just the light on the ceiling, huh?

The reason for my daily walks is a health one. Altho' initially the most robust one in the family--my sisters can tell you I was the family Tomboy and athlete, since 14, I've been "richly endowed" with physical maladies. People past 50 always talk about this and that rusting or about how they can no longer do what they used to be able to do when they were younger, etc..., so I won't bore you with more of that. Let's just say that most recently, my doctor has told me that he wants me going out--especially since it's getting warm--and walking everyday, about 30 mins. He said it would get me my body's yummies of: vitamin D (from being in the sunlight), exercise, and serotonin. Any kind of sustained exercise is supposed to produce serotonin in the brain and help elevate mood.

Since ten years ago, when my back problems erupted, I have been relatively lethargic. Bodily exercise consists of doing housework (and my too often dusty and cluttered home will testify to my lack of exercise in this area), cooking (my family isn't starving, so hopefully, I make up for a little of this), moving tables and chairs at church, walking to and from neighborhood stores. God has put our family in a financial condition to motivate me to walk to distant stores to get the best bargains. I probably wouldn't have considered going such a distance before, when we were more comfortable financially. Yes, sometimes God lifts us out of our comfort zones to motivate us to do things that are blessings, things that are good for us, doesn't He?

pic: with my new toy, an inexpensive camera

I can't remember how it happened--but one day while deciding to go out for my walk, the thought occurred to take along the digital camera. I started taking photos to place on this blog...and before I realized it, I had a new hobby!

pics: children's park near home, windblown tulips (I don't know how many pics I had to take to finally get one where the flowers stayed in the frame!), "flowering flow" on the Whispering Path, bird through branches