I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

May 19, 2010

1/2 Ravine Review

Actually, Kinya and I went to the ravine three days ago, and I would've posted it the next day...but the next day, I was running a little temperature and out of commission for a little bit. I managed to post the men's meal blog then went to bed.

pics:It was such a pretty day; I wish we'd stayed out longer. But we went halfway down then turned around and came home. Hence the title "1/2 Ravine".

It was a perfect day for a walk and taking photos. And the ravine...well, I'll let you see the pics yourself. I wish I were a better photographer with nicer equipment.

Kinya was my photo consultant. One that got a no-passing rating was a shot I took of a butterfly...just as it was taking off, so you couldn't even make out its shape!

There were birds, wild ducks, butterflies, and yes...believe it or not, there were worship sites along our walk. I hadn't realized there are so many tombs/temples/idols all over the place in Japan--this happens when you've lived in a place too long, and things become so matter-of-fact, you don't even notice they're there.

pic taken near the ravine: a neglected image, leaning against an old tombstone--a dead idol needing sustaining by another lifeless object?

Kinya showed me one place at the side of a children's park I probably would've missed otherwise. On the 20th year of Japan's present emperor, a tree was planted in his honor. It was just this past Sunday that our missionary pastor preached on the necessity of sending down roots into the Lord Jesus Christ, that nothing else--not education, not money, not health, not fame, not friends,...nothing, would give us the lasting security we needed. I wondered how long this tree would last. Or would it have exposed roots like the ones I saw near the edge of the ravine?

pic to right: emperor's tree


pics: Losing Ground, a Wild Corsage growing by the ravine, a Duck having a Siesta on a plank, the only flying bird that would hold still for this photographer: a Crow!

I wonder if I'll ever get to see the other half of the ravine. I think it runs to the Big Supermarket I blogged about before, so it should be doable....



P.S.(That was TWO days ago! Three days ago would've been Sunday. I remember my head started hurting Monday night, and my fever was higher the next day. You mean it was only ONE full day I was "out of it"? It felt much longer!)