I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

August 20, 2025

RAVEN REVIEWS issue 04 Kawasemi Names

 Raven Review, Issue 4, March 2019  -Leonard/Sara Fin

 

Kawasemi, Duck Pond 2019

You probably noticed lots of cameramen try to get photos of our little bird. I gave names to these Kawasemis. The plump ones, altho' I don't want to insult because they're still unmistakably regal in their beauty…I call "Princess Compressa". The ones that dive for fish, I simply call "Diva". The ones that fly with superSonic speed so leave you wondering if you saw a blue streak, not a bird...well, I call them "Sonny". Finally, the ones that stay around and just sit there and shine are called "Sheen".

I hope you know now I'm not talking funny if I say I wish a Sonny would hold still and be a Sheen, or that the Princess Compressa surprised me and was a Diva after all!                       Signed, Sara Fin

The day Sara Fin was talking with Old Man Tree…a Sheen visited!