I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

August 20, 2025

RAVEN REVIEW issue 07 Cormorant

 Raven Review, Issue 7, May 2019  -Leonard/Serra Fin

HELLLP! News is that a black shadow has been darting around underwater in Iwatsuki Pond, attacking the small fish there (park staff add them to the pond actually for the Kawasemi and turtles, but apparently, an intelligent black bird from a neighboring river watches when this is being done and makes monthly visits, also helping himself.) The cormorant is the “underwater bird assasin”. Sometimes they come in demolition duos:twos!

You can’t be too hard on this bird though. In history, fishermen used the cormorant for their own means, stringing the bird alongside their boats to catch fish but tied ropes tightly around their necks so they couldn’t swallow the fish—calling the bird’s catch their catch for the day. I guess you can say the cormorants got the last laugh.       Signed, SerraFin

(top picture:Cormorant Chaos       above picture: Cormorant Going Home after tummyfull)