I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

August 20, 2025

PARK REVIEW issue 01 Leo Birds (SP)

 The Review  Special First Issue    -Put out by “the Leo Birds”

 

 

Greetings to everyone in the park. Before going on, I need to introduce you to my 2 friends on the Review staff:

Leotard the Heron

Most males look silly wearing leotards, but the herons of Iwatsuki Pond know how to wear them with distinction. One of them, known for the regal grace he commands when flying over the Iwatsuki Park kingdom, is respected as "Leo". He decided to offer Leonard the class and confidence needed in running the Review.

Leopard the Starling

The funniest thing is, when Leonard and Leotard found themselves coming up short in courage, they were cheered on by a spunky, tiny bird. You rarely notice him around because of the way he shoots about from tree to tree, but you can always hear his cheery singing voice. The way he never lets the big birds intimidate him or drown out his chirp, his gutsy way of living, have earned him the nickname Leopard, or "Leppy", for short. He won't let anyone call him "Lepper". Too much like "Leper".

That’s me, Leonard the Mallard, on the far right.

What I heard about this pond was amazing. The two carp you see in this photo were in “Goldie’s Last Hurrah”, but that’s a fictional story. I’m referring to a real-live legendary happening that was birthed right here in our back yard…front yard? Whatever. It’ll be written about in the next issue, so be looking for it!

Love, Leonard