| Kinya: "and this is the museum..." |
I was pleased and a little excited that we could be living now in a place which, during samurai days, held such prestige. But when I went home and told Emily that we might be living in the very place important samurais were, her first automatic response was:
"Yuck! You mean someone could've committed hara-kiri here?!"
It's true. It's true that there used to be a custom of suicide committed by samurais of distinction when their names had been dishonored. My daughter would never have given me that response if we had found out we lived where the lowly peasants used to be--they never did that.
In wanting to stay important, I too often choose to stay unhappy unless I am recognized. Maybe serving the Lord should be all that matters.
"Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit." (Ps. 51:12)