I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

December 29, 2012

Nicest of All

"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."

 You won't be that upset at me for posting things really, really late, right?
 
Nakabayashi Wreath!
My English students had gone home when I remembered I had forgotten to hand them invitations to our church ladies' ("Hannah-Kai") wreath-making activity the following week--ack!  The only thing I could do was hand them the fliers during the next lesson: just one day before the event!  No doubt everyone would've made plans for that day by then, I thought.

I handed out the fliers...and was pleasantly surprised when one of the students actually showed up!  She has probably been coming to Bethel English Conversation for the longest time of all the students.  It turns out she loves crafts and I think made the nicest wreath of all the ones made that day.  Maybe one day, like the other student who found the Lord at Bethel English Conversation, she too, will  have the Savior living in her heart and know the nicest of all Christmases she's ever known.

Cookie Master
U.S. Sprinkles
Christmas Cookie-making, Puppet Plays, English Class Christmas, Church Family Christmas (Pot Luck and Gift Exchange)...I realized the other day everything was over, and it was time to take down the Christmas decorations!

Bethel English Christmas
Bethel Family Christmas, 2012
Christmas is not a red-letter holiday on Japanese calendars.  (Dec. 23 IS a holiday here; it's the emperor's birthday.  My daughter Emily can't stand that.)

The day that should be the nicest of all days on the calendar is...completely ignored?  And in its place is remembering the birthday of a human figurehead?