My daughter and I were baking cookies once for a youth group activity. We were actually trying to make them into the shape of birds because the theme was peace and the cookies were supposed to be doves...but the only bird-shaped cookie cutter we could find looked more like a flattened, upside-down triangle with a beak on one end. So Emily came up with the idea of using duck-shaped cookie cutters instead.
I think they looked like DUCKS, just plain ducks. Emily, in a playful mood, made one triangle bird cookie, "mama bird", then lined up other ducklings in a row after it. She went back to the bed, came back with the stuffed cat, propped her up at the end of the table, and said, "Look! The cat is after the unsuspecting birds! It's a nice, sunny day, and the little chickies are just following mommy...won't they be surprised when terror pounces all over them!"
Sometimes my daughter and I have really deep, meaningful talks.
I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

