I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

July 1, 2011

Sweltering

I should have taken the picture before drinking so much tea!
Jason had given Satoko her engagement ring on the church/Bible School rooftop area, decorated for the romantic occasion.  He wanted to do it that night, even if the only time they could get together was after both were done with work that day; it was her birthday, after all.  The proposal would be the only one of its kind, he had decided.

In the past, the church/Bible School rooftop has been used to barbecue meat served at potlucks.

On an urge to see what the rooftop looked like, I took the stairs...but just before opening the door to the rooftop, I spied several treasures--unused fans--in the stairwell.

Well, they looked like treasures anyway, to me.  It's terribly hot here, and our apartment, on the second floor, sometimes feels like a...training facility for learning to endure heat torture.  The heat (and humidity; actually, the humidity is worse) just sits on you.  Those fans would move the air around inside the house and help so much!  I decided to ask, and as it turned out, the fans were unneeded at church/Bible School; we could finally have a breeze at home--yes!

It would not help to blow around hot, humid air.  So I decided to place a glass of ice tea (unsweetened barley tea, in Japan) on the corner of the table to cool the air a bit before it reached me.  Now I'm wondering: was it really the fan that cooled me down, or the sips I took of the tea?  Your guess is as good as mine.