In my in-laws' house were several paintings I was telling my daughter Emily about. They were lithographs, some by relatively well-known artists. They had been purchased for over $5,000, but several months ago, they sold for under $250.
Daddy never boasted of artistic ability. In one of the books I borrowed from him, he had written in the top margin a note about God's conquering of death, and this is the way he drew crossbones:
I doubt anyone would have paid a dollar for this drawing.
But when I was choosing what to pack when we left Koriyama, there were five items I had to take along: some of the books I was borrowing from Daddy (I'm actually borrowing nine, but there were five I felt I had to read) so ended up taking them.
I could never sell those books...not for $5000.
Who was it...Jim Elliot? who said: "He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.