"In all fairness to idol-worshippers, we need to remember it is not really the object, the idol itself, that people worship; they worship what they believe is the spirit represented by the idol," Joyce reminded me recently.
That is so true. Last week's "sightseeing" was not of the Tokyo Tower or Imperial Palace. We saw the people of Japan, a nation spearheading modern technology yet running on a system of customs and superstitions seemingly incongruent to it.
pic at left: near our home, a helpless idol
It was apparent that the image had been decapitated, and it had been plastered back together by human hands. Long-since neglected, the face had bird droppings, spider webs, pupae, and--you can't see it by this picture--but there were ants crawling up the side of its now barely recognizable face. No doubt about it: no reasoning Japanese would think this to be a powerful god; but as mentioned earlier, he would, however, give worship to the spirit given expression by the idol.
I wonder, would others, by looking at me, see a living, powerful, attractive God they would want to worship too? Or do I often "lose my head" and need human help to get through life? Have I neglected my inner life to the extent it is no longer distinct from the "walking death" of the world surrounding me, and I am no longer bothered by the sins clinging to my heart? As a Christian, what kind of image do I present of my God?
I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.