I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

April 6, 2011

人形作り(Doll-Making)

Yesterday, I went on a tour of a doll shop.  It was fascinating to see the intricate detail involved, and although these dolls were hand made, not made by machines, every finished product looked like the one next to it: flawless.  So it did not come as a big surprise when we were told that the craftsmen who made these dolls needed a minimum of ten years of apprenticeship before being allowed to work on the actual dolls put on sale.  I am glad God didn't wait ten years for me before I was "skilled enough" to share His life-changing workmanship with others!  

pic: no machines in the shop

Of all the fascinating displays; there were a few that drew my attention in a different way.  One was of  doll heads only, about ten different faces.  It turns out they were important figures of Japanese history.

left pic: Figure Heads?

And there was a completely formed doll with an unusually cross facial expression.

right pic: Part of a Trio of Happy, Sad, Angry Characters depicting human emotion

Am I being formed into a figure that would make others awe at God's expertise?  Or would I, like those "historical heads", merely draw attention to my achievements; or like that angry character, distract others by the feelings I wear?