I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

October 12, 2010

Another Elizabeth

Daddy, Elisabeth Elliot, Auca Indian Brothers in Christ
This is NOT Elizabeth Cheney, writer of "Overheard in an Orchard", but another writer named Elizabeth...well, she spells her name Elisabeth.

Elisabeth Elliot, back in the 60's-70's. Sometimes known as "Jim Elliot's wife". He was one of the missionaries martyred in Ecuador; and she went back to live among and reach the Auca Indians. Now a famous author and lecturer.

When my Dad went to Berlin for an evangelical convention, he happened to be staying in the same hotel housing delegates from South America--including Ecuador. On his first day there, he saw, in the lobby, Elisabeth Elliot and two Auca representatives. He was able to talk with them and got this picture...but as soon as word got out about who it was, well, people swarmed all over the threesome. So that was the end of Daddy's quiet chat with them.

I didn't write about that trip Daddy took to Berlin, so I decided to put it on a post...I HAD to show you the pic!

 
I wasn't going to write about the Berlin Congress.  But maybe I'll stick the photo in the gallery at the end of the book.  A better photo, of course; the one in the book will not be blurred with a reflection of me taking a picture of it .