I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

September 20, 2010

Withering Whites...I mean, Dyed Hair

See, Skunk

Nothing Salt 'n Pepper about it
  Some people are under the impression that those with black hair can do with less dyeing because their hair will take a salt-and-pepper appearance even if they let it go for a bit.  Hypothetically, that could happen for someone who hasn't ever started dyeing, but that doesn't happen for anyone once you've started.  New hair growing in--in other words, hair at the roots--is white, so undyed-for-a-while head takes on a skunkish appearance at the part!

Better, don't you think?
"you cannot make even one hair white or black" (Matt. 5:36)

No amount of wishing is going to change it.  I guess we can all try, as Anne of Green Gables did.  What was it: she tried to get rid of her red hair and ended up with it dyed green?

"Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?...But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." (Matt. 6:27, 33)

The rest of us will stick with conventional methods, simply dying black hair black.  It looks good enough, don't you think?

I read somewhere that grays make a person look twenty years older.  So when I dyed my hair, I asked Kinya if I now looked twenty years younger.

"Not exactly twenty...", he said.  Sometimes, I wish he weren't so honest, wouldn't mind exaggerating a little.