Remember the cake mixes and readymade frosting, the fluted-tube cake pan, the microwave with convectional oven capacity I wrote about in previous posts ("Needs Change" June 18, & "Kitchen Warming" July 20)? Well, yesterday I finally baked it.There are three girls in our family. I was the least domestic one growing up. Baking couldn't be that hard, I thought, since my younger sister, the Home Economic, could make yummy confections in the oven, even "Fool's Apple Pie" (made with crackers & lemon juice, but it really tasted & felt like apples!) But when I tried to bake cake, somehow I always ended up calling the finished product "apple sauce cake", (there wasn't any apple sauce in it) because it didn't rise, and the stuff at the bottom of the cake was still wet & squishy, like apple sauce. Oh well. At least I'd succeeded in making something without apples in it but tasting like it did, like my sister Janice???
So I was glad when my chocolate cake turned out tasting like chocolate, not apple sauce. And both Kinya & Raymond asked for seconds. Thank You, God!
pic: successful cake baked in the bundt pan! Raymond hates to have his picture taken, but he was taken up with his computer, so I just put him in the background of the cake I was photographing.... Just don't tell him you saw him on the blog!
I don't want to give you the wrong idea. We love apple sauce too. In fact, the large jar of apple sauce a missionary wife gave me disappeared in less than a week. (But the chocolate cake made yesterday evening? Kinya had a large "slice"--closer to "chunk"--this morning, so it's already almost half gone.)