I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

July 2, 2010

Rain-Quenched

We've had a long rainy spell. I've started going out on my walks even in the rain, if it's just sprinkling, because of some of the things I've seen on my walks then. Some colors look brighter (their backgrounds are darker, plus blinding sunlight doesn't wash out colors). Dirt and dust get washed off most things...of course, they end up on the ground, so anything there looks muddier, hence the image of rain being a "dirtier" weather than when it's sunny.

pics: yellow-orange polka dots, pink rock blossoms

But there was one flower that keeps coming back to me. It was a yellow flower, but the reason I remember it isn't because it was pretty--which it was. It's just that by looking at it, I could see it had been dry and probably ready to wilt UNTIL IT RAINED. The water then seeped into its petals and gave it a robust glow it had probably forgotten about.

I know I have a tendency to make outlandish parallels, but please bear with me. This flower seemed to to be whispering out hope for people of withering spirits, saying that God would renew beauty...and would probably do it through life's rains, not sunny days.

pic: Quenched (If you could see this flower up close, you would see black "wrinkle lines", translucent spots that had probably been spots of parching/shriveling--my photography just isn't good enough!)