When I first took my walks in Iwatsuki Park and saw the carp in Iwatsuki Pond, I didnt think much of it. It was just an off-white fish.
It was just an off-white fish that grew on you. I realized later on it quickly became my favorite carp in Iwatsuki Pond. Perhaps its exceptionally longer body gave it its graceful, flowing movement.
I found myself mesmerized watching Goldie, thinking of her appearance as a drop of liquid gold in the pool of water.
There were times I would gaze at the pond and see her mirage-like form moving through the water, and it would look so beautiful, I wanted a friend to confirm it, to tell me that yes, she really was there, I wasn’t just seeing things.
And Goldie, I realized, was a mother too, the day I saw her swimming with her young ones. “Come on, you can do it,” she seemed to be urging them.
(Above: A Drop of Liquid Gold) (Below: Do you see what I see?)
(Little ones didn’t have the same l-o-n-g body, but could still swim!
Goldie gave off energy, not just in beauty but also zest to live!)
I realized one day I had become endeared to a lovely little carp in Iwatsuki Pond, one who probably was not aware of my existence as it glided slowly through the water but had made me helplessly aware of hers. I have heard carp live a long time and have become symbols of good fortune or longevity. All that mattered little to me when I thought of Goldie. I had fallen in love with her!