I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

December 31, 2011

SQUEEEEZE!

* I'm going to try get in one post before the end of 2011!  Wow; this year went by Fst!
* December was one that kept me spinning too.  Emotionally, that is.  I'm sure it was a humdinger for Joe and Noney Mita, the senior missionaries here.  The 10th found us in Iwaki, one of the disaster areas, passing out Christmas "presents" of "kairos" at two temporary housing areas as well as handing out fliers.  The 13th was the day the Bible School had its Christmas chapel, and on the 18th Bethel Baptist made its yearly visit to a nursing home.  Part of the program was a surprise: there was a puppet play put on by four others at Bethel...including my daughter!  How in the world she found time to sneak out, between all her nursing tests and projects, to work on that play, I'll never know.  Then on the 23rd, we went back to Iwaki where the Bible School Choir put on a Christmas Concert.  Since Christmas this year fell on a Sunday, of course we had our Christmas Program on worship service, a pot luck for lunch (I actually baked a cake for it!), and gift exchange after the meal.

Christmas Cheer for a dear church member
* The gift exchange?  We drew names of another church member at the beginning of the month and were to get presents around 500 yen (what is that in dollars now? I can never keep track of the exchange rates.)  And we were to pray for that person the entire month, not merely purchase a gift for him.  I think that was the best part about the gift exchange.

* And two high school pupils in English conversation class--when hearing the Christmas story, realized for the first time that Christmas presents may have something to do with religion.  They did not know that on Christmas, we wanted to commemorate God's Greatest Gift to us.  Maybe someday they too will find this Gift to be a precious treasure to them also.  That would be the best part about having taken English class, don't you think?

* Today, I baked three apple pies, made macaroni and cheese--for real this time, not just a title to a post! (August 31, 2010), and even microwaved a Japanese sweet called Uirou. Whew!  I better take off my apron now and join the rest of the family--we'll be playing some games, enjoying some yummies, praying in the New Year...then getting to bed for church tomorrow--next year!

* Oh--I almost forgot: WARMEST SEASON'S GREETINGS!