I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

August 1, 2011

Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty.  Sad to say, no one has ever called me that.

Joyce, teaching a memory verse
via sign language
Sunday, when I got home from church, I was bone-tired and lay down for a nap, to find myself waking up at 9:30 p.m. (oh--there were leftovers from the day's church potluck which we were able to have for dinner; there was no cooking necessary!)

For months we had planned and prepared for this year's VBS--the biggest undertaking the church has ever known--and it was finally over.  God blessed richly, with many "Western Carnival" participants coming to church the following Sunday for the first time!  The Nippon Initiative team--22 members--came to Japan from the U.S to help spread God's Love here.  They managed, in the four days they linked arms with us at Bethel Baptist in Iwatsuki, to see God work "exceeding abundantly above" and then to gain the gratitude and love of fellow Christians here.  It was with hugs and tears we said goodbye Sunday afternoon, although Japanese people are usually almost-zero about expressing affection through touch.  
One of the booths my daughter made

One of the booths I made (and Joyce manned)
Sleeping Beauty.  No one has yet called me that.  But perhaps one day I will go to sleep and wake up more beautiful than I have ever been in my earthly life.  And perhaps one of the little girls, as a result of being saved in VBS; one of the adults who came to our "free English Conversation coffee time" and found living water; one of the little boys or parents who were attracted to games but gained new life in Christ...perhaps one day they too, will be able to wake up to perfect bodies in Heaven.

I couldn't NOT show pics of at least two of the sixteen games we had at our Western Carnival.  The pin-the-tail-on-the-horse was mentioned in a previous post ("Silly Horse", July 21, 2011) .
 
A 10-year-old boy helped me with the miniature basketball booth I worked at, and a 12-year-old girl worked with Joyce.  (They are children of the sponsors who came along with the team.)