I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

June 18, 2011

Stroganoff to Stenchanoff

I didn't know I would tell ANYBODY about this.

You already know I am not an accomplished baker, by any means (NOT Applesauce Cake, Aug. 30, 2010 blog). Well, there was a week someone was needed to prepare the noon meal--we usually stay after worship service to eat and fellowship too, like we did at Koriyama Baptist (Food & Fellowship Church, May 17, 2010 blog)...and I found myself volunteering. After all, Bethel Baptist is smaller than the church in Koriyama, so that usually means cooking for only 15-20 people, not for 30.

Excuse me; I am not going to open the lid...
There were several packages of instant stroganoff-type meals at home that could be prepared in the microwave. The church would pay for necessary ingredients, I was told. So I made up three packages, put it all in a large pot, and served it--sprinkled with cheese--with rice and cherry tomatoes, for one Sunday lunch. The folks seemed to enjoy it.

But that's where the good part of the story ends. The leftovers, I decided to take home to have for supper. I forgot the dish included milk and had been left for hours on the stove; it had spoiled. I was dead tired after getting home from church so lay down for a nap, telling the family to fend for themselves for supper; it would be the stroganoff in the pot. When I decided to help myself later...whoa--natural, wet fertilizer couldn't top that smell!

My family, not wanting to hurt my feelings, had said nothing to me napping; they had just been careful to fill up on something else. When I realized what had happened, I apologized profusely for asking them to eat that stuff!

Would YOU eat manure? --to be continued. (I am too sleepy now to write...)