I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

May 16, 2011

Backpack Stuffers

Some of the things I told you about what happened when we left Koriyama:
* I couldn't find my regular glasses in time for our trip out.
* We left on a long-distance bus (did I mention the roads were ripped up, causing the main highways to close, so they ran a route using smaller back roads?)
* I took my digital camera but forgot to put in the battery.
* I decided to leave behind a lot of books but took five I was borrowing from my Dad.

Stuffed Animals that got out of Koriyama
But one thing I didn't tell you:  I had felt a little silly in sticking in my backpack a small beanbag turtle my husband had given me one Christmas (I could excuse such a small item, I told myself).

But after we arrived in our apartment in Iwatsuki and were unpacking,  I didn't feel so silly.  Kinya, a grown man in his fifties, had brought along a stuffed cat and a stuffed doggy (to keep each other company, he says)! We are a funny, funny pair.

A while ago, he was outside fixing our daughter's bicycle.  When he came in, he said he was tired and wanted to nap.  I saw he had put the turtle on the back of the dog, so I added a sign of it saying, "Just Like 'Neverending Story'!  Neato, huh?"

Like I said, we are a funny, funny pair.

(Oh--an explanation of the stuffed dog: those of you who own something like it would know, but many of you would not: it is actually a flat pillow-like thing with velcro to fasten it into a rolled-up position to make it look more like a canine.  As it is in the picture above, it looks more like a rectangular flying saucer with a head, don't you think?  Yup, sometimes it takes our getting flattened out like a pancake in order to learn how to soar in the heavenlies!  June is getting carried away again...)