I am an MK (missionary kid) and mother of two grown children. Altho' my husband is Japanese (from Koriyama), and we speak Japanese at home, my education (elementary-university) has been in English, so most of my reading and writing is in English too. Last year, we moved to Okinawa and now live in the house my Dad built. I was born in Okinawa--it's been a long time, but I've come home...at last. 2025 August posts are publications put out by wildlife of a Saitama park in 2019.

Archive

July 16, 2010

Sometimes Wind Keeps Mosquitoes at Bay

A break from book stuff.

These photos were actually taken July 4, 2010...that's almost two weeks ago.

We decided to get together the Americans (and their families!) at church for a 4th of July party. I think there were ten of us. We had hot dogs, chili (made with "daizu" substituted for the beans), doritos, rhubarb-blueberry crunch--YUM!--macaroni & cheese, jello, cole slaw.... It may not sound like a big deal, but activity on Independence Day--in Japan? It seems every year around July 4, I feel a little blue that no one does anything, but this year, it was different.

pic: Kent and his best friend, Zinnia, enjoying food in their own way!

And when it got dark, we went outside for fireworks. Okay, we couldn't have the elaborate and expensive shoot-and-burst-in-the-sky type, but there were sparklers to fascinate the kiddies as well as several flares to place on the ground and light to satisfy the rest of us.

I usually can't stand mosquitos, but they didn't bother us this time. Thank You God, for keeping them away!

What was a bit more trouble this time was perhaps what God used to keep them away: the wind. It was strong, and the light on the fireworks kept getting snuffed out. Had it not been for Christine's (the Tajimas' oldest daughter) perseverance (she was the one in charge of lighting the flares) we probably wouldn't have had as festive a time as we did. Thank you, Christine!

pic: Really Spouting

Does anyone want to guess about what occurred to me in seeing how God used WIND to keep MOSQUITOES away? How He uses _______ often to solve our problems with ______!